Alert: Notifications at reduced capacity during COVID-19 restrictions
We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 alert level four requirements.
Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Small production appliances and certain specified fittings may be endorsed by an Approved Practitioner as an alternative to product certification.
Regulation 57 of the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010(external link) applies to small production appliances, of which 21 or fewer are supplied each year in New Zealand, and to any gas appliances that form part of an imported new or used gas installation.
The importer or manufacturer of a small production appliance may, instead of complying with the certification requirements have the product endorsed by an approved practitioner prior to sale or offer for sale.
An endorsement must include:
- the full name and New Zealand address of the New Zealand manufacturer or importer
- information that identifies the product and the approved practitioner
- a statement that the Approved Practitioner considers the product meets the gas regulations and NZS 5266
- the address of the installation (where endorsed as part of a gas installation)
- the type of gas the appliance may safely use.
The requirements for an Approved Practitioner are intended to establish their knowledge and experience to assess the suitability of gas appliances.
The Approved Practitioner must make an endorsement that states the appliance complies with the Regulations and NZS 5266. A copy of the endorsement must be supplied with the appliance and must be provided to WorkSafe on request.
To become an Approved Practitioner, you must submit information that demonstrates you have suitable qualifications and experience to assess the safety and suitability of gas appliances and fittings.
- Demonstrated competence, technical knowledge and relevant experience to assess the suitability of either small production appliances, or specified fittings.
- Relevant business structures and arrangements, including adequate liability insurance.
- A sound understanding and knowledge of relevant means of compliance with standards.
- Capability to undertake or assess testing and commissioning of endorsed appliances or fittings.
Approvals will be issued with terms and conditions. These will include requirements to:
- Notify WorkSafe of any change of address or other changes that may affect the ability to meet the requirements of an approved practitioner.
- Retain reliable records of products endorsed or assessed for endorsement.
List of approved practitioners
Current list of approved practitioners under the Gas (Safety and Measurement) Regulations 2010.