Alert: Notifications at reduced capacity during COVID-19 restrictions
We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 alert level four requirements.
Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
Any businesses applying for a Class A asbestos removal licence must have a certified safety management system in place by 4 April 2018.
What is a certified safety management system?
A safety management system is designed to ensure a business has identified the risks and has taken appropriate steps to manage them.
View our ‘Safety Management System on a Page’ document, which is designed to make it easy to see what should be included in an SMS.
Businesses undertaking Class A asbestos removal work have until 4 April 2018 to get their safety management system certified through a scheme run by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand(external link) (JAS-ANZ).
A certified safety management system is one that:
- An auditor accredited by JAS-ANZ has certified as being compliant with:
- Australia/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 4801:2001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems); or
- another international standard recognised by WorkSafe; and
- Meets any requirements prescribed in a safe work instrument issued by WorkSafe.
To help make it easier to understand what should be in a safety management system, we have produced a graphic that outlines the common features of a system. This is based on the 18001 standard but is relevant to 4801.
Which standard should I use for my safety management system?
We recommend using OHSAS 18001. However, you can also use AS/NZS 4801:2001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems).
Asbestos specific accreditation scheme
We have also worked with JAS-ANZ and industry to produce a new accreditation scheme specifically for Class A removalists, based on ISO18001. It is more specific to the work of Class A asbestos removalists and provides you with greater assurance that your safety management system is fit-for-purpose.
Finding a JAS-ANZ Certifying Audit Body:
- If you go onto the JAS-ANZ website(external link), hover your cursor over “Our Directory” across the top and then “Accredited Bodies Search” in the drop down list.
- Click “advanced search” (above “we have found 129 accredited bodies” and below “important notices”)
- Search by Standard leaving schemes program etc. empty, but do change the country to NZ.
- The standards we accept (currently) are 18001 and 4801 so put in either of these.
- Click Search.