Alert: Notifications and correspondence during COVID-19 restrictions
We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 alert level four requirements. Find out more about how to correspond and notify us during this time.
The following information and resources are available to help Health and Safety Representatives.
Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 (HSWA)
HSWA is New Zealand's workplace health and safety law. It recognises that a well-functioning health and safety system relies on participation, leadership and accountability by government, business and workers.
HSWA sets out principles, duties and rights in relation to workplace health and safety.
Health and Safety at Work (Worker Engagement, Participation and Representation) Regulations 2016
These regulations cover matters relating to work groups, health and safety representatives (HSRs), and health and safety committees (HSCs) to support more effective worker participation. This includes information on who can be an HSR, HSR training and HSCs.
The regulations also specify:
- the health and safety issues that an inspector, appointed by WorkSafe, may help to resolve
- the sectors or industries considered high-risk for the purposes of HSR and HSC requirements.
Resources to help create a positive health and safety culture in your workplace
Puataunofo Come Home Safely initiative
The Puataunofo initiative:
- raises awareness of health and safety issues for Pacific workers and their employers to reduce workplace injuries
- informs the Pacific workforce about health and safety practices and standards
- develops a holistic approach to marketing and communications.
Puataunofo includes a focus on educating health and safety representatives.