Alert: Notifications at reduced capacity during COVID-19 restrictions
We are operating at reduced capacity due to the COVID 19 alert level four requirements.
Please only call our 0800 number if someone is at serious risk of harm or has been seriously injured, become seriously ill, or died as a result of work.
For other notifications please complete our online forms at Notify WorkSafe.
WorkSafe has exempted Contact Energy and BYC Investments Limited (the Parties) from compliance with regulation 11.21 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017 and reduced the separation distance to protected places for the 4,490 litre above ground LPG tank at the NPD Lincoln Road service station located at 55 Lincoln Road, Addington Christchurch and shown in BD Group Design (2016) Ltd drawing number N66171-E006, revision C.
The exemption has been granted by WorkSafe in accordance with section 220 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.
The exemption is granted subject to the following conditions:
- The Parties must maintain a manually-operated deluge system in a fully operational state and it must be tested no less than annually. The test records must be kept for at least 3 years.
- The Parties must maintain a concrete block wall adjacent to the LPG tank at 2.4 m high and 140 mm thick as shown in BD Group Design (2016) Ltd drawing number N66171-E006, revision C.
- The Parties must permanently mark and maintain an exclusion zone on the ground extending at least 4.83 metres (the separation distance to public places) from the LPG tank and ensure that there are no ignition sources, no combustible materials and no staff work areas within this exclusion zone. A sign stating that these items are excluded must be displayed within the zone. The sign must meet the requirements of regulation 2.5(2)(c).
- The Parties must permanently mark and maintain an exclusion zone on the ground extending at least 2 metres from the LPG tank deluge system manual valve and ensure that there are no ignition sources and no combustible materials within this exclusion zone. This valve must be readily accessible in case of emergency. A sign identifying the location of the manual valve must be displayed. The sign must meet the requirements of regulation 2.5(2)(c).
- The Parties must maintain the layout of the site as shown in BD Group Design (2016) Ltd drawing number N66171-E006, revision C.
- The Parties must provide a copy of this exemption to any compliance certifier engaged to issue a location compliance certificate for the LPG tank at NPD Lincoln Rd, 55 Lincoln Rd, Addington, Christchurch.
- The exemption is revoked if:
- there is a change to the layout of the site as shown in BD Group Design (2016) Ltd drawing number N66171-E006, revision C; or
- there is a change in use of any buildings; or
- any of the conditions are not complied with.
The exemption takes effect on 8 October 2018 and expires on 8 October 2023 unless it is sooner replaced or revoked.